Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Embassy of Finland, Tokyo: Services: FAQ


3-5-39, Minami-Azabu, Minato-ku
Tokyo 106-8561
Tel. +81-3-5447 6000
English | Suomi | Svenska | 日本語 |  | 



Appointment is needed for coming to the Embassy for consular matters. More information on appointomens, please check from here. If you are to apply at the Honorary Consulates in Osaka, Sapporo, Nagoya, Kitakyushu, please make an appointment beforehand.

Residence Permit

  • Q. Is Work Permit needed for a short business trip ?

    A. If the trip is within 90 days Japanese nationals do not require a Work Permit but if the trip is longer than 90 days you need to apply for a Residence Permit and Work Permit. Please refer to the Section 80 of the Alien’s Act in the Directorate of Immigration website concerning trips to Finland other than touristic purpose within 90 days.
  • Alien's Act

  • Q. Is any Permit needed for a trip to Finland as journalist ?

    A. No permit is needed for a Japanese if the trip does not exceed 90 days. It is advisable to arrange the ATA Carnet for your cameras, etc. carried along with you before you leave Japan.
  • Q. I am a Japanese citizen. Is stay in Finland before  the period of Residence Permit allowed?

    A. Yes, Japanese citizens can stay in Finland and also other Schengen countries for up to 90 days within 6 months before the period of Residence Permit starts. 
  • Q. I would like to travel in Finland for a short time after the expiry of my Residence permit, is it possible?

    A. Yes, Japanese citizens can stay in Finland and also other Schengen countries for up to 90 days within 6 months after the period of Residence Permit expires.
    Please consult with the Police.
    Immigration web-site  
  • Q. Does the Residence Permit expire if I do not enter Finland on the date the Permit start?

    A. The Residence Permit will not expire. The Permit is valid for the whole issued period.
  •  Q. Is it possible to apply the Residence Permit and Work Permit in Japan and get them in Finland?

    A. The Residence Permit and Work Permit has to be usually applied and received in the country of one's permanent residence.
  • Q. Is travel to countries other than Schengen area possible while staying in Finland with Residence Permit?

    A. Yes you can travel but please check the visa requirements of that country first. Residence permit is valid for multiple entries.
  • Q. Can I (Japanese citizen) travel in other Schengen countries during the validity of my residence/work permit in Finland?

    A. Yes, you can stay maximum 90 days within six months.
  •  Q.How can you extend Residence Permit ?

    A. The extension of Residence Permit has to be applied through the local police of your municipality of residence before the expiry of your previous residence permit.  The recommendation is that extended permits should always be applied for in Finland.
    If you apply for extended permits in Japan after the expiry of your previous resident permit,  the application will be processed as a first residence permit with all documents, fee and days for screening.
  • Q. Is Work Permit necessary even if salary is paid from the sending company in Japan?

    A. You must apply for a Resident Permit to work in Finland and the Application Form is different depending on the type of work.
  • Q. For my family to apply for Residence Permit do they all have to go to the Embassy or an Honorary Consulate?

    Yes every person applying Resident Permit is required to come personally.
  • Q. What to do when there is not much time for the Application for Residence Permit and Work Permit.

    A: Residence and Work Permit of the employee can be submitted in Finland to the Labour Office (Tyovoimatoimisto) by the employing company. Permit is issued in Japan, you need to pick it up from the Embassy or you can send your passport to the Embassy.
  • Q. I am planning to live in Finland for a while after retirement. Is there any special visa for retired persons?

    A: There is no special long stay visa for retired people but Japanese citizen who stays in Finland or in Schengen area 90 days or less within 6 months does not need a Schengen visa. For a longer stay it is necessary to apply a residence permit.


  • Q. What kind of Travel Insurance is necessary?

    A. Travel insurance covering the duration of the visa and the Schengen area. The insurance amount of minimum 30,000 Euro for each item covering sudden illness or accident (including travel back home) and include transportation back home in the event of your death.
  • Q. I am South Korean and planning to go to Finland as a tourist. Do I need a Schengen Visa?

    A. No. Citizens of Republic of Korea do not need a visa if you are staying maximum 90 days within 6 months.
  • Q. I am from North Korea  and live in Japan. I do not have a passport, but I have Japanese re-entry permit document. Can I visit Finland as a tourist?

    A. You must make a passport and then apply for a Schengen visa. Please refer to List of travel documents accepted by Finland
  • Q. Is Transit visa needed for transit?

    A. If the destination is not a Schengen country and if the transit hour is short and you stay only in the restricted area of the airport for transit then you do not need a transit visa.


  • Q. I am a Japanese citizen and I am going to Finland for 10 days on a group tour but my passport will expire in 2 months. Can I enter Finland?

    A: It is recommended that the passport is valid approximately 3 months when departing Finland. In your case there will be no problem. You will be allowed to enter Finland.      
  • Q.I have a permanent residence permit sticker in my passport. My passport is about to expire. What should I do?

     A. You must apply for a new passport from the same authorities who issued your previous passport. Usually this means your own country's embassy in Finland. If you have an alien's passport or a refugee travel document issued by Finland, you must submit a re-application at a police service point.

            The residence permit sticker will not be transferred to your new passport, instead you must apply for a residence permit card from the police. The residence permit card is proof of your right to reside in Finland.

  • The Finnish Immigration Servece (MIGRI)

Study in Finland

  • Q.I would like to study in Finland. Where can I get information about universities etc.?

    A. You should contact the Finnish Institute in Tokyo and Centre for International Mobility (CIMO)


  • Q.Where can I find information about various kinds of authorities in Finland?

    A. You can find information about various kinds of authorities at the Government offices within this website and also from portal.
  • Links (Government offices)
  • portal


Print this page

This document

Related websites

Updated 1/21/2019

© Embassy of Finland, Tokyo | About this site | Contact information